Home Tradition Facilities Menus Contact Us
Home
Tradition
Facilities
Menus
Contact Us
Photos
  


Taliano's Restaurant

Our Restaurant is housed in the old Sparks Mansion built in 1887 by Jim and Nina Sparks. Restored in 1970 by our family, the house is now listed in Washington D.C. on the National Registry of Historical Places.

James M. Sparks was a prominent Fort Smith citizen. In addition to being a pharmacist and wholesale druggist, he was active in civic affairs, served on several commissions for city improvement and was a director of the First National Bank. He was married to the former Nina Johnston, granddaughter of Capt. John Rogers, founder of Fort Smith.

The first floor has five dining rooms, decorated in the style that was popular in the late 19th Century. All four chandeliers are the original gas fixtures installed when the house was built and which have been converted to electricity. They are solid brass with a variety of antique glass and ornate designs. All woodwork, fireplaces and stained art glass windows are original. The fireplaces are adorned with marble imported from Carrara, Italy. The upstairs has two dining rooms, one large and one small, suitable for private parties and banquets. Two rare fire shields cover the openings of the fireplaces upstairs. These shields were found in the attic and restored to their present condition. The divider screens and wood carvings found in each of the downstairs rooms are excellent examples of the wood craftsmanship found during the era the home was built and which is now a lost art. The overall architectural design of the house is Renaissance Revival, which was prevalent in the late Victorian period. 

Site Map